Thursday, March 5, 2009

Are Ya With Me?

Hmmmm interesting that only these two girls got my headline joke....guess the rest of ya are too mature or teachers who were distracted by the fact that I will be teaching on Saturday. You gotta pay attention sometimes my snark can be a little subtle.

Now let me explain WHY I have to work on Saturday. NC is a free to work state....so no unions, and the law in NC is that schools may not start before 8/25 and not go past 6/10. In the school system in which I work we have "optional" teacher workdays. There are 15 on our calendar. Anyway those days are usually reserved for staff development etc. When we have a snow day and school is canceled it is usually only canceled for students with the day being switched to an "optional" teacher workday. The system will then swap a optional day on the calendar for the snow day. The catch this time is that there are no days left and since we end school on the LAST possible day to end school they could not tack a day on to the end of school without petitioning the state for a waiver. So I will go to work on Saturday. Sucks. The only good thing is that at least it is not an entire day of school, we dismiss the kids 2 hours earlier. Still sucks though...

7 comments:

Moore, Moore, Moore! said...

ok, I think I get it...there will be no time for "humping" at your house this weekend...am I right????? You know I am a little slow at times with jokes :)

Special K said...

Working on a weekend sucks! I know cuz I have to do a Sunday every 6th week. Not really that bad but there's just something that feels WRONG about going in to work on a Saturday or Sunday.

PS. My spam word is "moveless".
I think it's a sign that I need to spend the rest of the evening curled in a ball on the couch. *snort*

t~ said...

Of course I got it. It was staring at my with flashing lights.

Can't believe you gotta work on Sat....that sucks.

~ Alison said...

I'm still stuck on the fact that u have to work on a Saturday - that just ain't right.

$3,000 a hump is quite pricey so I hope they finish the job properly. Nothing worse than finishing after only a few humps . . .

Robby, Tonja, Caitlin and Marissa said...

I heard on the news that you guys were in school Saturday. Caitlin said she is glad that she is at BCA and not at Western where she thought she would like to go. I will be thinking of you when I am out in the warm weather Saturday. :)

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

well duh....of course I get it. I lived in NC for 2 years way back when..ok school on Saturday sucks beans!
stop by my blog and read Addison's interview its really funny

Christina said...

ewwww yeah...about 10 years ago when i was in HS we were out 2 weeks for snow. They cancelled most of our final (semester) exams and we went to school for 3 Saturdays in April to make up for it. not. fun.
I feel for ya!