Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Orphan" Sunday

I going to link to another blog that addresses "Orphan" Sunday in a more eloquent way than I ever could......I understand that the motivations behind"Orphan" Sunday are good....but as a parent of a child who was once an orphan I have to wonder what it would be like for her to be with her faith community and see faces "splashed" across a big screen that look like hers, the not so positive opinions of her birth country shared, feeling like we "rescued" her from a life not as good as ours here in the USA. I would add to Malinda's prayer that we pray for all children everyday that they feel His love and presence in their lives.

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

I respect your perspective, but I have to say, I've never been in a faith community setting where a child's birth country was denigrated. Nor was their plea for adoption portrayed as a rescue mission.

It saddens me that the global church's efforts to increase awareness and to call others who might have previously been unaware is being disparaged as proselytizing. There's no doubt that there are those who see adoption as that (and I'm heartily sorry for their narrow view of this huge issue).

But there are far MORE of us who see it as so much bigger than that. Yes, as Christians, we cannot separate our faith and our desire to share our faith with our children. Muslims and Hindus who adopt must share their faith. They too have a mandate from their belief system to share and teach their faith. As a Christian, it's the most loving thing Todd and I can do as parents. But for most of us, it is NOT the primary motivation behind adoption.

Building our family and expanding our home of love is.